The Open Source Resource Center (OSRC) is a project of the Pakistan Software Export Board (PSEB), Ministry of Information Technology. It is based in Islamabad, the federal capital of Pakistan. The project began in 2003 with an objective to promote and support open source initiatives in the country.
OSRC’s core objectives include:
- Raising public awareness about open source solutions
- Decreasing dependency on proprietary software
- Effectively addressing issues regarding Intellectual Property Rights
- Decreasing software deployment costs in the public, private and non-profit sector
OSRC is currently carrying out the following activities:
- Conducting open source awareness-raising seminars.
- Conducting basic and advanced level training in major open source applications.
- Encouraging localization and research and development on open source software in local universities with international collaboration.
- Collecting and disseminating information and data on the adoption of open source in Pakistan.
- Providing technical and financial assistance to organizations planning to migrate to open source software.
- Developing training material for major open source applications.
- Collaborating and cooperating with open source organizations worldwide in general, and in the Asia region in particular.
- Participating in activities which promote open source in Pakistan.